Friday, November 19, 2010

Teleported

Our Team Logo
The other day a friend from my previous employer who now works out in California dropped a whole lot of joy on me and my old team mates.  We've setup a group on Yammer to share little tid-bits and just generally keep in touch.  The other day he posted a list of our old sayings or fun quotations that we'd collected through the years.  Lots of teams do this.  Lots of teams collected lists like this when I was at TVWorks.  I still think these guys were a bit different.  They congealed as a team in a way I'd never seen before and so far we still can't help but get together whenever we can for "team" lunches at the end of each month.  I don't know if I can put a finger on what it is I miss the most about working in that environment with that specific group of people, but it was something special for me.  As I know it was for others as well.  And I'll be thinking back on those days in the TeleQuad laughing my ass off to the point of tears streaming down my face after someone said something absolutely absurd that not one of you where weren't there and didn't speak Teleporter'ese would ever appreciate or understand.

I think I'll have to do some follow up posts with my thoughts on what these guys did well and why I think they gelled together and created a culture all their own.  Also I should talk about the problems this caused and the issues they had in dealing with other teams in the company and my take on some of the things they never quite got right.  But mostly this points is just about me remembering just how much fun that whole experience was and how important my relationship to those guys is to me still.

Thanks Mark for Teleporting me back for a while.  Here's a recap of our little list of Teleporter goofy sayings just in case you're curious.  I"ll try to explain in comments if any of you are interested enough to ask.

  • "That's not a magnet!" - Tom
  • "The comma will protect us all." - Andrew
  •  "That's harass." - Peng
  • "Set to the OR of the NOTs." - Tom
  • "There's no GC in C." - Tom
  • "Laser solids" - Peng
  • "Monkey peaches" - Peng
  • "Set how many big?" - Tim
  • "Undo the did." - Tom
  • "The designees are sad." - Mark
  • "Make like the regression and break." - Andrew
  • "Make from for the bind bits!" - Tim
  • "Evil smell." - Peng
  • "Groupe Ide" (pronounced group-eh ee-day) - Tim & Andrew
  • "That's so awkward" - Peng (said whenever someone spills something on their pants)

2 comments:

  1. kevin when did you get a blog?!??!

    :)

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I"ve had one several times over the years. I just haven't been particularly good about putting up some content. I'm trying to see if I can make a better go of this one. I feel like I might have a bit more to say this time.

    ReplyDelete