Friday, September 23, 2011

Starting Fresh

I'm no longer a part of the Redshirt Labs gang of 5 that was actually 4 for quite a while and felt like 2 for a long time, but whatever.  I'm done.   Of course we still hang out and eat the same lunch at Prince Al's, but no longer will I be pining over what to do next with Zengaku.  The rest of the gang will figure it out.  I'd offered to take it off there hands, but they didn't go for that.  I also considered licensing the source code and doing a fork, but I reconsidered and felt like a clean break would be best.

So begins the adventure once more.  This time with a little more solitude.  But if I make an application that only sells a few hundred dollars worth on the market, that's a bit easier to swallow than when you have to split that 5 ways.  Plus I'm not going to be making games.  Which I think would be fun, but is a tough business to get into and requires a lot of talent that I don't have.  Mainly a lot of art, music, sound and game design skills.  I could probably implement the code for a game if you gave me the spec/design docs, but coming up with all the rest is way to much for me and I can't go and hire all that talent either.  This is just a hobby after all.

So I've made the initial steps of setting up my new business.  I've got an idea for a first application.  I'll share that soon enough. I got a website, a hosting service, a remote repository and an official business license.  I'm working on my registration with the Apple Developer Program. It's all getting started.  Now to start making the application.  My hope is to have it delivered to the App Store before the Christmas holidays.  Not that it would help sales or anything, just that I need a goal and that seemed reasonable.

I'm not going to get into the details of my business idea, or the application I plan to build just yet.  If you ask me in person I'll tell you about it. But mostly I'm just not ready to share much else at this point.  I have a lot of work to do.  I'd like to have a decent landing page on my website, get some blog content lined up,  get the application in progress and moving forward and so on and so forth.  Then I'll have loads more to talk about. But for now this is about it.

I may have to write a bit about my new affection for JavaScript and functional programming.  I don't know if I'd say I know a lot about either just yet, but I've definitely spent some time getting familiar with JavaScript over the last couple months and I'm actually quite impressed.  But also looking forward to doing a bit of C/C++ work once more.

2 comments:

  1. Functional programming? Do tell. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just totally digging JavaScript's functional aspects. Namely closures. But generally being able to treat functions as first class citizens is something I've never been able to do in any language I've used previously. It's no Lisp or anything like that. I'm just excited by what I've been exposed to in JavaScript.

    ReplyDelete