Sunday, March 6, 2011

Samsung's Lost a Customer Today

I have a Samsung HTDV.  I was quite happy with it until recently.  It started to behave rather oddly when I powered it on.  I'd hear this relay clicking sound repeatedly before it actually powered on.  At first this happened for 2 or 3 cycles.  Then it was 10, then 20, then it was starting to take upwards of 5 minutes before the TV would actually turn on.

This started around the time my 1st child was born so my time for such distractions was at a minimum.  I finally decided to look up on the inter-webs to see if others had seen this problem and maybe there would be a quick fix. I soon found that this seems to have been a common issue with a number of Samsung LCD TVs with my model number.  They called it the "bad capacitor issue".  Apparently they installed some sub-standard capacitors that eventually wore out.  As the issue progresses eventually your TV would never power on again until the faulty capacitors are replaced.

So I looked up the Samsung support site and called the support group.  They told me I had to provide my proof of purchase and fax it to them.  And so I did. But after all that I found out that since I've owned my TV for longer than 3 years I don't qualify according to Samsung's policy on the matter.  I said: "That's fine, but it's my policy that if a company doesn't want to fix a product issue that is obviously due to an error on their part, they'll lose me as a customer."  The service rep just stuck to the script and said: "Sorry, but this is Samsung's policy."  I don't care if that's the policy.  After this experience Samsung's not going to get another dime from me.  It's too bad too.

I had heard over and over again that they had a quality product.  But this is all it takes to really sour a customer on your products.  I wouldn't have minded if they'd just offered to fix the issue and replace the capacitors at fault.   But that's just not the story I'm telling you today.  I'd rather be praising them.  But I'm not.  Instead you're reading this little buyer beware story.  Oh well.  When I decided to get a new TV I wonder who's going to be getting my money.  Maybe Apple will finally have produced a real Apple TV product.  One can dream.

4 comments:

  1. Been a fan of Samsung for quite some time (using their phone right now :) ) but this story made me reconsider future purchases.

    Apple won't solve your problems though, it probably runs on some kind of iElectricity and needs iTunes and a credit card to turn on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you need to borrow a soldering iron? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exact thing happened to me with my Samsung 42". Mine was only a little over a year in. The store I got it from only had a 1 year warranty so I paid to fix it. Was a store in south london. I am told you can buy the capacitors at canadian tire for $5 if you are handy with a solder gun.

    I think there is even a youtube video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a repair guy to fix it. A reasonable price. I'm not quite as miffed with Samsung as I was before. My new target is Rogers.

    ReplyDelete